The Technical Writer creates operating and maintenance manuals, service manuals, and other technical materials for OGI’s product lines.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Prepare, review, revise, and maintain technical documents, including operation and maintenance manuals, service manuals, and troubleshooting and repair instructions.
- Gather and analyze technical and product information from various sources to document new or changing product functionality.
- Write, format, edit, review, and proof procedural and technical information for technical and non-technical users.
- Assist in planning, scheduling, and tracking documentation work to meet product release dates and deliverables.
- Maintain a library of application documentation, cataloging it for internal and/or external use.
- Publish and maintain templates for written documentation produced by others to ensure a consistent “look and feel.”
- Work closely with Engineering, QA, Service, and Sales to ensure user feedback and operational scenarios are communicated and covered in manual development.
- Gather information by working with product designers, engineers, and personnel in marketing, sales, quality, training, and production.
- Observe and operate OGI equipment as required for operational understanding.
- Schedule conference time between engineers, designers, and/or production.
- Schedule and conduct reviews of product manuals well in advance of shipping deadlines.
- Manage updates and revisions to all materials
- Conceptualize, plan, create/edit 3D models, line art, vector drawings, or renderings for inclusion into projects.
No travel is required for this position.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in a technical field with a focus on English, writing, or communications.
- Experience in creating documentation for audiences with various levels of technical skill.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in Technical Writing and Illustration development.
- Experience with following software packages– Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office.
- Ability to read diagrams, drawings, schematics, and sketches is essential.
- Full-Time Position
- M-F 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing duties of this job, the person in this position frequently communicates with employees and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. The employee constantly must remain stationary for extended periods of time, while operating a computer and other office machinery. This position needs to occasionally move about inside the office to access filing cabinets and operate office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine and laminator.
The employee might occasionally lift or move objects up to 25 pounds.
On occasion, may be required to visit the shop that is a non-temperature-controlled environment with loud noises, dust, dirt, and metal particles that are usually associated with metal fabrication shops.
Skills / Tool Requirements
- Proficiently communicate between all departments
- Prioritize and execute tasks with minimal supervision
- Utilize critical reasoning skills